May 6, 2008

Whatwhat?

I just posted the other Monster yarn (that green and purple one I dyed in the tutorial) on Etsy, and I noticed something very odd about the image I uploaded. It looked... pastel. Bland and apologetic. It looked like a shy candy-colored yarn instead of the in-your-face Weird Science it really is.

Could I be imagining it? Perhaps the picture I took was not as good as I thought it was? Just to be sure, I downloaded the image from the listing and put it side by side with my own version. Sure enough, Etsy had washed out the image.

Unfortunately, I can't show you any evidence, because Blogger apparently uses the same compression or whatever. When I upload both the brighter picture and the washed out picture here, they end up identical.

ARGH! I need to go bang my head against something. What are these sites doing to my images that turns intense grape-juice fuschia into candy pink? I took such a good picture, too! I would have a word with Etsy about it, but I don't actually know what's happening, so it's kinda hard to talk about.

Feh. Time to think about something happier until my blood pressure goes down a bit. Unfortunately, my world has been full of little frustrations lately. I've been working on a custom yarn for someone, and I just couldn't get the color right. I used up all my brown dye trying to get bronze, but the closest I could get was copper. Fortunately the commissioner said copper is okay, so I went and spun it up. It came up short in the yardage department. Since no two dye jobs are alike, I couldn't just dye enough to cover the shortage; I had to start over. Two days to dye and let it dry, and about a day for each of the three skeins, plus a day or two for them to dry after blocking, puts me a week behind schedule. Still within deadline, but that's time I could've been using for many other things.

And it's my own dang fault, so I can't really bitch about it. Fuck a duck.

It sure is some pretty fiber, though:




Uploading it wrecked the colors, as usual. It's not pumpkin colored. It's deep copper. Man, when words are more accurate than pictures to convey a color, something's just wrong.

Grumble grumble grumble. Grumble. Grr.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps yarn should be photographed with things of know color,such as bananas, broccoli,carrots and apples to show a kind of color scale.
I have a good friend who is always complaining about whether that is the "real" color or not.

Jesse said...

Oh hey, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that.